Doug Ibold, Law & Order and Magnum, P.I. Editor, Dies at 83

Doug Ibold, the talented editor behind iconic television shows like Law & Order, Magnum, P.I., and Miami Vice, has passed away at the age of 83 after a courageous battle with cancer. His remarkable career spanned decades, leaving an indelible mark on the world of television editing.

Doug Ibold, the talented editor behind iconic television shows like “Law & Order,” “Magnum, P.I.,” and “Miami Vice,” has passed away at the age of 83 after a courageous battle with cancer. His remarkable career spanned decades, leaving an indelible mark on the world of television editing.

Table of Contents

Obituary: Doug Ibold, Editor of “Law & Order” and “Magnum, P.I.”

Doug Ibold, a highly accomplished editor known for his work on popular television shows such as “Law & Order,” “Magnum, P.I.,” and “Miami Vice,” passed away on November 8 after a courageous battle with cancer. He was 83 years old. Throughout his career, Ibold made significant contributions to the world of television and film, leaving behind a lasting legacy.

Early Life and Career

Born as Edward Douglas Ibold on January 23, 1940, in Cincinnati, Ohio, Ibold’s passion for storytelling and visual arts began at a young age. He grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida, and later pursued his education at Florida State University. After graduating, Ibold embarked on his professional journey, starting as a camera operator at WTVT-TV in the Tampa Bay area. His talent and dedication soon caught the attention of industry professionals, leading him to become the CBS pool camera operator on the aircraft carrier USS Wasp. It was during this time that he captured remarkable live shots of the Gemini 6 and 7 space capsule landings via the Telstar Satellite, showcasing his exceptional skills behind the camera.

Work on Television Shows

Ibold’s remarkable editing skills and keen eye for detail propelled him to work on several iconic television shows. He collaborated with renowned producer Dick Wolf on the groundbreaking series “Law & Order,” editing its pilot episode in 1990. He continued his involvement with the franchise by editing the pilot episode of “Law & Order: SVU” in 1999 and working on numerous episodes until 2005. Prior to his work on “Law & Order,” Ibold also contributed his talents to the hit series “Miami Vice” from 1985 to 1987, further solidifying his reputation as a skilled editor.

One of Ibold’s notable contributions to television was his work on the original “Magnum, P.I.” series, where he served as an editor for the first six seasons from 1980 to 1985. He also lent his expertise to other notable productions, including “Quincy M.E.,” “Quantum Leap,” “Tequila and Bonetti,” and the drama series “Crowfoot.” His extensive television credits also include editing for shows such as “B.L. Stryker,” “Texas Ranger,” “Walker,” “Xena: Warrior Princess,” and “Tour of Duty.”

Work on Feature Films

Beyond his contributions to television, Ibold’s talent extended to the world of feature films. He worked on notable projects such as “Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones” (1973), “Off Limits” (1988), and “The Break” (1995), showcasing his versatility as an editor. His ability to craft compelling narratives and capture the essence of each story made him a sought-after talent in the industry.

Awards and Achievements

Ibold’s exceptional contributions to the field of editing did not go unnoticed. He served on the American Cinema Editors Board for approximately 20 years, demonstrating his commitment to the craft and his peers. In 2012, he received the prestigious ACE Career Achievement Award, a testament to his remarkable body of work and his impact on the industry. Additionally, Ibold earned an Emmy nomination for his outstanding editing on the 1992 miniseries “Drug Wars: The Cocaine Cartel,” which was executive produced by the acclaimed filmmaker Michael Mann.

Survived by Family

Doug Ibold is survived by his loving brother Robert Ibold, as well as nieces, nephews, and their families. His legacy as a talented editor and his contributions to the world of television and film will continue to inspire future generations in the industry.

In conclusion, Doug Ibold was a highly respected and talented editor who made significant contributions to the television and film industry. From his work on iconic shows like “Law & Order,” “Magnum, P.I.,” and “Miami Vice,” to his collaborations with renowned filmmakers and his involvement in various industry organizations, Ibold’s impact was far-reaching. His dedication and skill were recognized with an Emmy nomination and the ACE Career Achievement Award. Doug Ibold’s legacy as a master editor will continue to inspire and influence future generations in the field.

ncG1vNJzZmismKm%2ForrQrqacrJ%2BWu62twp2sqKaXY7KlwY2vpWicn6q0brXBqKOdZZyWxG670Z2cq2WRo7FuucCgpa6lXaV6qnnEnaCtp6Jisaqx0maYrWVoaHw%3D

Share!